Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day

I am going to write my blog a day earlier than usual, so that I can remember what we did yesterday. Not that I am old or anything!

Marilyn and Aldie came out around 11:00 and we drove down to Sunbury to see the new feed mill River Valley Coop has built. It is a huge, huge structure and now we see why we don't get patronage dividends anymore.

From there we drove down towards Davenport via Walcott. We drove past where Sue Boedeker Monson lives as I wanted to see how far she drives to come to all of our search committee meetings. (Long ways) On into Davenport to Applebee's for lunch. I think we left a perfectly good gift card there which I didn't realize until late last night. Hope the very nice waitress uses it as a very nice tip! From there we drove down town as Aldie wanted to see where a new grain elevator was but instead we took the Rock Island Arsenal bridge and into the Arsenal. Everyone in the car has to show an ID to get in! We stopped to watch a tug push it's barge thru the lock and dam. I talked to a young man (who looked at lot like Caleb) who was working the barge and he said he was on the barge for 2 months at a time and it was hard work he was doing. From there we sort of drove around on the island and then went to the cemetery, trying to find uncle Merle's plot. We found where the general area was but didn't see the actual grave. I hadn't been over there since his funeral. Very impressive with rows and rows and rows of grave stones.

Then on to see the American Pickers building in LeClaire. I had been there before but the rest hadn't. A lot of people were there visiting and some of the stuff we saw there we saw them "pick" on the tv show. We took the long way home "checking out the crops".

After getting home we played cards, roasted hot dogs on the grill, plus the potatoes Sherrie & Milan showed us how to make, played more cards and by 8:00 the Klahn's were gone. Fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment